Friday 1 April 2011

Volunteer snapshot


Soon Lye Chan
(Joined LMCC as a Volunteer in March 2011)

I was born in Malaysia, educated and worked in England, graduating in Electronics/Computing Science. I migrated to Australia in 1981.
Fueled with passion I started assisting others about 20 years ago.  I read about a gentleman who could not use his hands but wanted to learn to use a computer. I modified a PC for him using his head pointer and a special foot operated keyboard.
I found this to be such a valuable experience, beyond description, that I launched into using my skills in technology and mechanics to help others. Since then I have assisted many people with a disability, designing customized devices to suit their abilities.
Why do I volunteer?  Knowing that I can make a difference gives me the motivation and drive to help others. I do not have all the answers to the challenges, but I do persevere and that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment