Sunday 9 October 2011

Introducing our new inclusion officer at the Louise!

My name is Abdi,  I have recently joined in the role of Disability Inclusion Officer and I already feel at home here as the staff, volunteers and students are all friendly and helpful. I am excited about this inclusion project as I feel I can really make a difference in people’s lives. 


Abdi and Cynthia



The project is funded by the Department of Human Services and aims to increase participation in our Centre and other Neighbourhood Houses by people with disability.

This is a person centred project looking at what people CAN do and utilizing their abilities.  That is why the project is called the Multicultural Ability Community (MAC) project.  I will be working one on one with individuals as well as facilitating groups.  There are some great resources to tap into such as the Louise MCC’s very own “Life Coach”. Together, Graeme and I will work with people to help them to achieve their goals through their own “life plan”. 

There are many programs for people to be involved in such as:
o     volunteering;
o     work experience, (learning about the Australian workplace);
o     short projects;
o     event planning and coordination;
o     teaching assistant etc.

For those people who are isolated at home and can’t get out, I will be helping them to participate through social networking and Skype. I plan to run a course on Skype for people with a Disability in the near future.  Participants may also wish to brush up on their English through our ESL classes.

If you know of any migrants or refugees with a disability please tell them about this project.  Call me, I work on Wednesdays and Thursdays (9:30 am – 2:30 pm) phone 9285 4850.

No comments:

Post a Comment