Thursday 4 August 2011

The Koran, the Ghan and a Yarn

I'm off to see one of my favourite Australian bands this weekend - My Friend the Chocolate Cake - and I thought I would share with you one of their newer tracks - The Koran, the Ghan and a Yarn. I think the title alone beautifully captures Australia's multiculturalism.

Youtube clip - The Koran, the Ghan and a Yarn


site - The Ghan - Main Image April 11


To fill you in for those that aren't familiar...The Ghan is a passenger train that runs between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin and is named after the Afghan camel drivers who arrived in Australia in the late 19th Century to help us find a way to reach the country's unexplored centre. They worked in the harsh environment of outback Australia (although stunning in photographs as shown above!) between the 1860s and 1930s and also played a huge rule in establishing muslim faith in Australia.

How amazing to think that all those years ago we recognised the value of diversity! And what a great link for Afghans just settling in Australia today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment